The purpose of the President of Parliament award is to honor young persons on Sint Maarten that are a great example to the youth and who have contributed positively to the community and the country.
Any citizen of Sint Maarten who believes that an individual meets the criteria can send the nomination to the Parliament of Sint Maarten.
The eligibility criteria are:
- the candidate must have the Dutch nationality and/or has been legally residing in Sint Maarten for 10-years or more consecutively, and has been registered in the Civil Registry for that period of time
- must be between the ages of 15-24 years
- has made a worthwhile contribution to the development of the community and the country
- these contributions/achievements must have taken place within the last three years
- contributions/achievements must have been made while the individual was acting as a private citizen, not as an appointed or elected government official
- and must have demonstrated a capacity for leadership and ability to motivate
The award committee consisting of three Members of Parliament reviews the nomination prior to the selection meeting and selects three nominees.
During the selection meeting, the President of Parliament selects the recipient of the award based on the recommendations of the award committee.
The award is presented yearly to the recipient during the reception ceremony at the Opening of the Parliamentary Year.
Click Nomination Form Link Below:
2013: Mr. Wendell Laurence
2014: Ms. Cherrianne Dangleben York
2015: Mr. Ralph Cantave
2016: Ms. Rochana Richardson
2017: Mr. Aisaiah Nunes
2018: Mr. Rupshen Long
2019: Ms. Mhakeda Shillingford
2020: Mr. Erwin Romney
2021: Ms. Kemilla Carty
2022: Ms. Tatiana Illis